Monday, May 4, 2009

Prom dress season (Part One)

This time of year there are certain things you can count on.  You can count on thunderstorms, flowers blooming, temperatures rising,  but more importantly you can count on high school girls searching for the perfect prom dress.

This prom season I was asked to make 2 dresses.  The first dress was a huge success, (the second will be too, but I have two more weeks to finish it).  My cousin Mary had bought a very pretty pink dress that did not fit her at all.  I don't really like doing alterations on dresses, I find it to be a lot easier to start from scratch, but I went forward and took on the task thinking that it was going to be a disaster.  As many people don't know, it's almost impossible to match a dye lot.  I was nervous I wasn't going to have enough fabric to do what needed to be done.  Despite my fears, I was able to work some wonders and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  

(Picture One) The work I focused on was taking off 4-5" at the hem to have enough fabric to piece together and add a good amount of ruching to the top/side/back of the garment.
(Picture Two) This shows a closer image of the ruching details I added to the garment.

I am thankful to say after all the hand sewing and the drama that happened in order for this dress to be finished, it was well worth it.  Mary looked terrific in the dress and she and everyone else were very pleased with it.

(The drama was on our last fitting at my house in Old City, Mary's grandmother was kind enough to drive her down and stay for our 2 hour fit.  Well the Parking Authority towed her car.  I felt awful, so I took them to the impound lot and after 2 1/2 hours of waiting for them to "process" her car, her car was damaged when we got it.  What a nightmare, but at least the dress looked great!!)



No comments:

Post a Comment