Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Crunch time has begun.

In about 8 days I need to have the second prom dress finished.  It's always the garments that you think will be the easiest that end up being the most time consuming.  I am in the preliminary stages of the dress.  I had my first fit on Monday, it went alright, I was able to go home and sew the bust part of the dress in final fabric.  The skirt portion however is going to be a lot harder than I imagined.  I am making a size 24 dress, which is hard to do without a form in that size and without a live model at my beck and call.  I have another fit for the skirt tomorrow night and hopefully will be able to make all the corrections I need so that I can proceed to cutting the final fabric.  

Once I am able to cut the skirt portion of the dress in final fabric everything should be pretty smooth sailing from there (always however, leaving time for things to go wrong).  

The picture below is the top portion of the dress prior to having the straps, waistband and skirt attached. 

I clearly have a lot more work to do, so rather than keep writing about it I am getting back to sewing.

Monday, May 4, 2009

Prom dress season (Part One)

This time of year there are certain things you can count on.  You can count on thunderstorms, flowers blooming, temperatures rising,  but more importantly you can count on high school girls searching for the perfect prom dress.

This prom season I was asked to make 2 dresses.  The first dress was a huge success, (the second will be too, but I have two more weeks to finish it).  My cousin Mary had bought a very pretty pink dress that did not fit her at all.  I don't really like doing alterations on dresses, I find it to be a lot easier to start from scratch, but I went forward and took on the task thinking that it was going to be a disaster.  As many people don't know, it's almost impossible to match a dye lot.  I was nervous I wasn't going to have enough fabric to do what needed to be done.  Despite my fears, I was able to work some wonders and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  

(Picture One) The work I focused on was taking off 4-5" at the hem to have enough fabric to piece together and add a good amount of ruching to the top/side/back of the garment.
(Picture Two) This shows a closer image of the ruching details I added to the garment.

I am thankful to say after all the hand sewing and the drama that happened in order for this dress to be finished, it was well worth it.  Mary looked terrific in the dress and she and everyone else were very pleased with it.

(The drama was on our last fitting at my house in Old City, Mary's grandmother was kind enough to drive her down and stay for our 2 hour fit.  Well the Parking Authority towed her car.  I felt awful, so I took them to the impound lot and after 2 1/2 hours of waiting for them to "process" her car, her car was damaged when we got it.  What a nightmare, but at least the dress looked great!!)